Re: RFC: Debian an die Schule

Hi,

[to the readers of debian-user-to: sorry to the English language in this
posting, I'll try to elaborate this in German later on.]

first of all, many thanks to all of you for all of the feedback. As you
noticed, my RFC was very unpolished and certainly I could have made a
broader field study of the ongoing projects before posting.

Anyway, I found the reactions quite interesting, and even the less
enthusiastic ones made up some very important points.

I still have to work through the available documentation of the various
projects that already exist. Anyway, since my impression was that there is
some interest in supporting use of Debian at schools, I registered a project
"Lernux (Debian for schools)" at sourceforge.net:

Lernux has a mailing list "lernux-discuss" via sourceforge's. Subscribe
using the lists' mailman page:

or by sending a mail with "subscribe" in the body to the address

    lernux-discuss-request@lists.sourceforge.net

I guess we should keep this list as English list (in case the project takes
of as an internation project), so that I should create a second list with
German tongue, perhaps "lernux-german" ?

As soon as I find the time, I'll try and setup the project's home page,

    http://lernux.sourceforge.net/

with a few pointers about related projects in Germany. After browsing these
projects, my current impression is that it makes no sense to come up with
just another project to propagate Linux in schools. Instead, we should
coordinate with them and see how Debian can help them with their goal.

Certainly, this includes lobbying Debian and our view of free software and
its advantages with those projects. Certainly, it also would include
considering changes and additions (educational applications, complete
localization of applications and documentation) to our distribution to fit
with their goals. These are things that are within the realm of Debian IMHO.

But then, depending on the feedback, it may happen that we realize that we
need to strip down or enhance the distribution in order to better fit the
goals, and that this is something that need not happen inside Debian (e.g.
we might consider taking Corel's distribution as base to get a lightweight
Debian).

Anyhow, if you're interested, feel free to subscribe to the list.

    Gregor