Re: Showstopping bug: gethostname() behaving incorrectly

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Randolph Chung wrote:

> Many other linux distros put the FQDN in /etc/hostname. Debian doesn't do
> that. As the man page points out, gethostname behaves like uname -n, which
> in turn just reads the value set by hostname.

This seems to be quite random, I checked a bunch of boxes here at the
univ, Solaris, OpenBSD and HP-UX - they all return an unqualified name for
gethostname - however some people report that other Solaris, OpenBSD and
HP-UX boxes don't do this.

I guess it is up to whoever set them up, but it is certianly not uncommon
to have only the node name in /etc/hostname

Jason