Re: [POSSIBLE GRAVE SECURITY HOLD]

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Thierry said,
> Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 01:08:23AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 02:06:58PM +0100, Thierry Laronde wrote:
> > > Maurice Merleau-Ponty has said : "You can't find anything if you don't
> > > know already what you are looking for".
> >
> > Is that one of Derrida, Lacan, or Foucault's drinking buddies?

M. Foucault was teaching in San Francisco during the time that he completed
most of his work, I'm not sure if he obtained American citizenship, but he did
spend tha majority of his career here.

> No. These ones are for export only. A french native speaker knows that he
> doesn't need to bother with that...
>

> > The particulars of French philosophy have changed a great deal over the
> > centuries, but its fascination with hermitc non-sequiturs has not abated.
> >
> > I give you Descartes:
> >
> > "I think, therefore I am, therefore God exists."[*]

that's the gist of Descartes' argument, but not the actual quote.  In the
second meditation of Meditations on First Philosophy, you will find the
statements that state the idea most clearly,

(1) "But doubtless I did exist, if I persuaded myself of something"

which seems appropriate in this discussion, and

(2) "Thus, after everything has been carefully weighed, it must be established
that this pronouncement 'I am, I exist' is necessarily true every time I utter
it or conceive it in my mind."

Descartes forgets to remind his countrymen that pronouncements other than "I
am, I exist" are not necessarily true.

> So, there is a great doubt about the existence of God, because all this
> thread has shown that the premise is questionable. It seems that not
> everybody is able to think...

Perhaps a quote from the first meditation of the same text is more accurate,
"there are no signs by which to distinguish being awake from being asleep."
I believe that some in this thread have lulled themselves asleep with the
satisfaction of believing that they have found a great flaw in Debian.  If
they were truly awake, they would see that this is not so.

-ptw