Re: Curses/xterm/cursor location oddness

On Sat, 5 Feb 2000, Steve Greenland wrote:

> On 03-Feb-00, 18:03 (CST), Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> wrote:
>
> >   I'd file this as a bug report, but I don't know whether it's a
> > problem with curses, xterm, the terminfo files, bash (??), or my own
> > code..
> >
> >   A dsecription of the problem is fairly simple, though. After running
> > some curses-based programs in a Debian xterm, the cursor position
> > appears to not be properly restored upon returning to the prompt.
> > Usually this means that the prompt moves several, or even many, lines
> > up, causing all the text on the terminal to become confused and hard
> > to read (I usually end up Ctrl-Ling or running 'reset' to clear the
> > screen) Non-xterms appear to be fine.
>
> It's baaackkk. This was a bug in ncurses4, got fixed, and is now back
> ncurses5. Crap.

I've had this since this summer on PPC potato boxen, e.g. pretty well
since they were installed. I believe old my potato x86 box had it as well.
My current x86 potato box at home doesn't have the prob. My uptodate slink
box does, so it would seem that stable ncurses4 isn't fixed.

-- System Information
Debian Release: 2.1
Kernel Version: Linux falco 2.2.14 #1 Fri Jan 28 14:29:22 MST 2000 i586
unknown

Versions of the packages libncurses4 depends on:
ii  libc6           2.0.7.19981211 GNU C Library: shared libraries

-- System Information
Debian Release: 2.1
Kernel Version: Linux falco 2.2.14 #1 Fri Jan 28 14:29:22 MST 2000 i586
unknown

Versions of the packages xterm depends on:
ii  ncurses-base    4.2-3          Descriptions of common terminal types
ii  libc6           2.0.7.19981211 GNU C Library: shared libraries
ii  libncurses4     4.2-3          Shared libraries for terminal handling
ii  xlib6g          3.3.2.3a-11    shared libraries required by X clients

Just in case those help.

cioa,

der.hans

--
# The Linux for YOUR Business seminar, Feb 8th in Phoenix #