Re: WARNING: base-files in current potato nukes /var/spool/mail contents

On Sat, 5 Feb 2000, Nils Jeppe wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Feb 2000, Remco van de Meent wrote:
>
> > Current potato destroys your /var/spool/mail contents, nuking everyones
> > spool without questions.
>
> Mine said "/var/spool/mail not empty, can't delete" or something to that
> effect. It didn't, however, remove any of the mailspools in there.

This is exactly what I expect dpkg to do. I tested it on my system and
it worked. I could ship /var/spool/mail inside the .deb but removing
it in the postinst would be a little bit inconsistent.

Remco van de Meent wrote:

> Anyways I have some weird configuration and this upgrade made the spool
> files disappear.

Please tell me what weird configuration do you have.
Maybe /var/spool/mail was a symlink to something else in your system
before the upgrade?

[ This is currently not supported by policy, but I know a way to support
  it if there is a real need ].

Thanks.

--
 "11e23d5c57639124c592ccc00f211524" (a truly random sig)