Re: [POSSIBLE GRAVE SECURITY HOLD]

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 11:32:38PM +1100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> Err, there is a mistake here somewhere. If you are getting 1FA at the
> boot prompt then lilo is *NOT* in the MBR. If it were you would get the
> lilo prompt.

Why not?  If I hold down the wrong key too soon in the boot process, I get
a 3FA: prompt.  I press enter and get lilo as normal.

It's not a virus or a security concern.  Similar prompts happen on similar
machines lots.  No two machines seem to have the same "strange" prompt.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                 Debian Linux developer
http://tank.debian.net   GnuPG key  pub 1024D/DCF9DAB3  sub 2048g/3F9C2A43

We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
        -- Linus Torvalds