Re: Scary bugs

On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 01:14:06PM -0800, Ryan Murray wrote:
[..]

> As has been pointed out, we don't know that the user is ONLY using
> hwclock to adjust their clock.  Most new-to-Linux users won't know that
> hwclock is where all changes are supposed to happen.

We all know that the main point is a lack of documentation. But, as I
wrote in a previous mail, the problem at the moment is for potato
to have a "reasonable" default. We can't make a good solution at the
moment, the problem seems "simple" but is, actually, complex.

What is needed --- for woody --- is now *work*. So IMHO, and this would be
my last mail for the moment, the average solution for *potato* is to :

1) modify /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh so that the --adjust action is only set if
$GMT is set to GMT;

2) comment out the halt | reboot command `hwclock --systohc'.

Cheers,
--
Thierry LARONDE
thierry.laronde@polynum.com