Re: Scary bugs

On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 09:50:59PM -0800, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

... moving to debian-devel only ...

> > I don't think that's the problem.  Setting the hardware clock again to
> > the system time isn't the problem.  The problem is, as you mention:
> >
> > > When the system is going down for halt or reboot, hwclock is set to the
> > > value of the system clock and this *modifies /etc/adjtime*.
> >
> > /etc/adjtime.  There is no reason to have hwclock trying to calculate
> > drift, as either NTP will be used (which is far more accurate), or the
> > system will be rebooting between Windows and Linux frequently.
> >
> > A new user will expect their time to follow them between OS', so I think
> > instead, the support for /etc/adjtime should be removed (comment out the
> > --adjust line in hwclock).  That's what I'm doing and don't have these
> > problems.
>
> This has nothing to do with making the time follow them between OS's --
> what /etc/adjtime does is keep track of the drift, and adjusting the
> hardware clock to counteract it.  So it's supposed to make your clock
> more accurate in both linux and windows.

You expect least surprise.  You update your clock in Linux, reboot.
A crash in Windows nukes the clock, you reboot into Linux, notice the
problem and fix the clock.  hwclock trying to account for drift doesn't
really work unless you run Linux all the time.  And if you run Linux all
the time, you can probably end up using NTP, which is far more useful
than hwclock's --adjust line.

--
Ryan Murray, (rmurray@cyberhqz.com, rmurray@stormix.com)
Programmer, Stormix Technologies Inc.