Re: kernel 2.2.14, pppd, cabbages and kings

> I have been running a 2.2.14 kernel for several days now, and have some
> good news to report.
>
> While both the current (2.3.10-2) version of ppp and the slink version
> worked on my mostly potato system with a 2.0.34 kernel, they failed to
> complete the line negotiation when run under the 2.2.12 kernel. Under the
> 2.2.14 kernel the potato version works just fine. (I have no reason to go
> back and test the slink version, but I expect it works also)
>
> If anyone else is having trouble with ppp, they should try this new kernel
> and see if it doesn't help them as well.
>
> If this is not just some fluke of my machine's environment, and is
> actually a general experience, then we have all the more reason to include
> the 2.2.14 kernel in this next release.

Some other reasons:

from: http://www.linux.org.uk/VERSION/relnotes.2214.html

Security Notes
2.2.14 fixes several local security issues. Most of these were not
publically known and exploited. Nevertheless anyone with untrusted local
users should upgrade.

Security Updates

IP Header
    Certain packet constructs could allow the kernel to read data beyond
    packet end. We don't believe this is exploitable in any way. It is
    fixed as a matter of correctness.
Traffic Shaper
    Any user could reconfigure the traffic shaper device ("shaper" or
    "shaper0"). This has been cured.