Re: debian-scala HOWTO v0.2: Debian on non-Linux systems

On Thu, 06 Jan 2000, Nils Lohner wrote:

> This is a howto I started when I got too sick of being on solaris,
> downloading source tarballs, compiling them and installing them.  What I'd
> like this to become is the 'how to use apt to make your life on non-linux
> systems easier' howto.  I'm not sure if that means creating a
> /usr/local/debian on other systems and adding parts of that tree to your
> path, or trying to use the undebianized versions of packages (just the
> .orig.tar.gz tarballs and compiling) or what.
Nice to hear that I'm not the only one who is bothered by this
trouble.

> That's why I'm posting this already.  The apt and dpkg parts work, but I'm
> not sure where to go next, so I'm looking for discussion and input and
> people willing to test the ideas we come up with.  Long term, other goals
> may pop up, but for now I think that the goal is big enough.
I really like this idea but I'm not sane enough to give technical hints
for this topic.  Anyway we should make a decision what to do with
patches to programs which are needed to compile on such systems.  I
had a lot of awfull experiences on an HP-UX machine and I'd really
like the idea to get this stuff included into the Debian source
packages even if they wouldn't be necessary for the official Debian
distribution, but it would help very much.

Moreover I'd like to see the proposed HOWTO included in any Debian
documentation package.

By the way you mentioned in your HOWTO to obtain apt and dpkg sources
from cvs.  I wonder if it wouldn't be better to get it from the
official source tarball?

Kind regards

        Andreas.