Re: Blocked high ports

On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 11:35:19AM -0800, David Bristel wrote:
> Have you checked to make sure that inetd is running?  After an
> upgrade, be sure to reboot to make sure that library differences have
> taken effect, and to make sure the system is in sync.  I have found
> that in too many cases, things LOOK fine after an upgrade, but until
> that final reboot, it won't be fully cut-over to the new version.
>
>        Dave Bristel

i've been upgrading debian on dozens of systems for nearly 5 years and
have NEVER noticed what you describe. in fact, smooth upgrades where
everything *just continues working* after being upgraded with no hassle
and no fuss is one of debian's major benefits.

i upgrade my systems regularly (every week or two on average) and
generally only reboot for hardware changes (once every few months at
most) or because of kernal bugs.

what you suggest is not necessary - it's a windows-type approach to
computing: "reboot and it might fix itself" (it's also a slackware and
freebsd type approach because they use ugly monolithic rc scripts,
rather than the clean sysvinit scripts).

debian packages provide and use scripts in /etc/init.d to stop
and re-start the daemons as required during an upgrade. rebooting
is not required - in fact, it's so far from being "required" that
rebooting should be one of the last things you consider when trying to
diagnose/solve a fault. rebooting doesn't solve anything, at best it's
cargo-cult systems administration...perform the magic reboot and maybe
the problem will go away for a while. the trouble with that is that
you still don't know what *caused* the problem and you have no way of
knowing that it isn't going to happen again.

aside from kernel upgrades, the only time that a reboot has ever been
necessary when upgrading debian was during the libc5 to libc6 migration,
which was (as everyone who went through it knows) a major change....and
even that was optional rather than required if you didn't care about the
wtmp file being corrupted because the file format changed. it was highly
recommended to reboot, but not absolutely required.

it is far more likely that Bradley's problem is due to incorrectly set
firewall or masquerading rules or similar.  or a misconfigured network
interface, or some other misconfiguration.

craig

--
craig sanders