Re: display managers

    Raphael> Le Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 06:29:12PM +0100, Paolo Molaro écrivait:
    >> AFAIK there is no need to specify the tty in the confiig files, as
    >> the server claims the first free tty by itself. The choice of the tty
    >> belongs to the administrator and the debian default should be the safe
    >> one.

    Raphael> If you don't specify a VT number, the x server can try to fight with
    Raphael> getty. This happened for slow machine where getty was not run instantly.

 I used to start 2 X servers with XDM logins on them.  For a long time
 it worked fine, but at some point, I started experiencing lock-ups,
 apparently due to a race for control of the TTY.  Perhaps a kernel
 upgrade that increased concurrency brought it to the fore.  I found
 that if I explicitly specified a vt for each server, it worked again.