Re: potato testing: xdm vs gpm, samba changed?

>I hope you mean gdm, not gpm, right??? Otherwise, it
>looks like you
>just found a security hole in gpm ;-) (or perhaps you
>mean you can now
>use mouse strokes instead of a password to log in ;-)
>)
Of course I meant gdm.  Brain fart I guess.

>This is configurable in /etc/X11/gdm, I think. My
>version
>has AllowRoot=0.

Guess someone has to decide if the default config file
should allow root to log in, since as of now the
default config file installed by the package DOES
allow it.

>I would never log in as root, unless X wouldn't run
>for some reason
>under my normal user id. Besides, when I have my
>account setup for X
>perfectly, I don't want to have to worry about
setting >it up again
>just for root ;-).

Why can't you have different profiles for different
users?

Anyway I CAN run gnome-apt logged in as a normal user
if I involk it from an xterm after su'ing.  Oh and
after some fooling around I discovered that I could
display the packages in gnome-apt in section order
(like in dselect) rather than pure alphabetical order.
 I think that should be the default setting BTW.

One question (observation).  The gnome menus were NOT
modified after installing new packages.  For example
the gimp was NOT added to the graphics ap menu.  Is
this a bug?  How do I add ap's to the gnome menu?

I'm gonna keep banging on potato and report back
later.
:->

=====
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!