Why doesn't Debian use GNU su?

    Ethan> so things like pam_limits and such will not work either?

That's right. Our su doesn't do any session management with PAM.

    Ethan> so why does debian not use the GNU su?

This is a VERY VERY good question. Our su is heavily patched to work
like GNU su, and still does a poor job of it. Why don't we just use
the GNU su in Red Hat's sh-utils package, since it's been patched for
proper PAM support?

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters G and Q and the number 13.
"You have my pills!"