potato gnome menus

I installed gdm, (wow now have gnome desktop) and
selected sawmill as my window manager (enlightenment
is too slow on P90).  I added some aps (such as gimp)
but the added aps do not show up in the menus. (gnome
footprint, aps, graphics no gimp).

Also when I minimize a where does the icon go?  In
enlightenment is goes into a box on the bottom, but in
sawmill??????

Also I can run the gnome-apt program from gnome via

su
HOME=/home/me gnome-apt

But when it gets to the interacative window to install
after the first pages scrolls up the window turns
black and nothing is readable.

=====
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze