Re: KDE not in Debian?

begin  David Johnson quotation:
> I think what you're seeing is a lack of urgency rather than a lack
> of interest. A lot of the *new* KDE applications, including most of
> KOffice, are not under the GPL. But why change the old licenses
> (playing the devil's advocate)? They have given explicit and public
> permission for everyone to distribute KDE. That some people delude
> themselves into thinking such permission has not been given is
> irrelevant to KDE.

	RMS himself has said that the GPL-Qt problem in KDE is
probably not such a big deal from a legal standpoint, as it is
obviously the author's intent to allow linkage with Qt.

	All the authors have to do is add "Permission is granted to
combin this code with the Qt library and any other software licensed
under the QPL..." or something like that.  It's actually the GPL
that's QPL-incompatible.  The new Qt license actually specifically
allows usage with GPLed software.

	However, RMS wasn't too happy about the precedent that this
sets.