Re: tasks

In article <[🔎] 20000119163238.E12668@kitenet.net> you wrote:

> I don't know about this one. http://www.debian.org/~martinb/tasks/ is a
> useful reference, and it specs it out like this:

Thanks, I had that pointer once but had forgotten about it.

> Package: task-backup-net
> Version: 0.1
> Depends: afbackup, afbackup-client, amanda-client, amanda-common,
> amanda-server, mtx
> Architecture: all
>  Backup tools to either run a backup server, or do backups to a
>  backup host.

Ick.  I don't get the '-net' suffix, frankly.  I don't know anything about
afbackup or afbackup-client, but in the Amanda context, all you want to do
is either depend on amanda-client for a client system, which will pull in all
the right stuff, or depend on amanda-common for a network backup server, which
will again pull in all the right stuff.  Depending on the whole list doesn't
seem good.  I'm inclined to do nothing about task-backup* unless someone has
a better set of task names and definitions in mind.

> Package: task-dns
> Version: 0.1
> Depends: bind, bind-doc, dlint
> Architecture: all
>  This task package installs the BIND DNS server, documentation and
>  tools to test your server.

> Probably makes more sense to call it task-dns-server.

Martin and I exchanged email about this once, and now that I think about it,
I'm sure I agreed to provide a task-dns-server... but never got to it.

Hmmm.  I don't know anything about dlint.  If you depend on bind, it has a
suggest for bind-doc... so I don't know if it should be explicitly depended
on here, or not.  I get the sense apt more or less ignores suggest items, and
I haven't looked at how this really plays with the new install tools.  I'll
certainly be happy to add task-dns-server to the bind package set, and I
guess the above dependency list is as good as any.

> I'd agree. Part of the point of task packages is making choices for people
> who don't want to. By the way, the current spec for the webserver-apache is
> this:

Yowza.  That's a huge amount of seemingly-random stuff to pull in for someone
who thinks they're just going to get a web server.  I guess I have a sort of
minimalist attitude, here.  If all the task- widgets are going to install
that much bloat (I have no idea, I haven't looked at them yet), I suspect
I'll do my best to stay clear of them...

Bdale