Booting kernel with module SCSI support?

Having built my first GNU/Debian kernels with SMP support (2.2.13-2
and 2.2.14-1 for i686) an experience drawn was that the kernel had to
have the SCSI module aic7xxx.o compiled into the kernel for the kernel
to boot. The boot disk is /dev/sda.

The machine I'm writing this mail on is running redhat/rawhide and
also have SCSI support. However, on this machine the SCSI driver is
loaded as a module: alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx.  How come it works
here?

Also the redhat/mkbootdisk and debian/mkboot behaves differently. On
a redhat created boot floppy the needed device files and lilo.conf are
installed.

Moreover on rawhide I use the mkinitrd command. Is this also available
on Debian?

Svante