Re: Debian for Solaris, HP-UX, etc.

On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 11:30:54AM +0100, Philipp Grau wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2000 at 03:03:59PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> >    Do I have to start from scratch to install all the fine GNU software.
> >    I really dislike tis idea because I know how it *could* work
> >    much better!
>
> Why not use the Sun package system?

Heh. The postinst/preinst/etc. hooks are undocumented and it took me a
while to figure out that if one of them fails, you get to clean up the
mess by hand.

Having a tool like apt that actually fetches the packages you need for
you also helps.

Not that installing Debian GNU/Solaris would stand a chance at most
clients...

--
The idea is that the first face shown to people is one they can readily
accept - a more traditional logo. The lunacy element is only revealed