Re: dpkg | dselect | apt : debian-qa fields planned?

On Sat, Jan 15, 2000 at 12:06:25PM +0100, Thierry Laronde wrote:
> Is there any plan to add some debian-qa fields to handle the packages removed
> or withdrawned, so that the user know why he can't find anymore some package |
> can't upgrade | is strongly suggested to remove it for security reasons.

I don't think anybody has been working on this or talked about it.
These packages show up as 'obselete' in dselect and usually it is
safe to keep them installed unless they cause conflicts. For example if
had upgraded a potato system all the way from Debian 1.x, you could
still have libc4 installed (for a.out compatibility) even though we
don't provide that any more.

But as you point out, it doesn't let us tell the user that they should
remove the package for security reasons. It might be possible to do this
without modifying all the tools; perhaps a special package (of priority
required or standard or similar) could conflict with any packages which
should be removed?

Hamish