Re: Prepackaged kernels in Potato not configured for DHCP

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 07:34:28PM -0500, Eric Weigel wrote:
> > dhcp-client is way better than dhcpcd.
> >
> > Why:
> >
> > 1> dhcpcd and dhcp (server) do not play well together (dhcp will answer
> > the dhcpcd request, so the computer assigned itself an ip address)
>
> And why shouldn't it? That seems to be correct behaviour to me.
>
> Admittedly I can't work out why a DHCP server would need to obtain
> an address using DHCP -- and indeed why the DHCP server would be running
> _before_ the client's request is sent.

Well, I have my home server both connected to the cable (dhcp-client on
eth1) and to my local network (dhcpd on eth0). It's the only server
available and I wouldn't want to drop dhcpcd because that would break too
much on other systems.

I agree that it's not a normal situation, but it certainly isn't an
unusual one.

--
Tot ziens,

Bart-Jan