Re: /etc/profile should include sbin in PATH

rlb@cs.utexas.edu (Rob Browning) wrote:

> ... Since we still have to make sure that the flat "path namespace"
> has no conflicts, it's not like having the separate directory really
> buys you anything.

True.  Having separate directories for different binaries such as this
does not really buy you anything.

> On our departmental machines, they put *ping* in the admin directories
> because they thought normal users shouldn't be running it.  According
> to the arguments of some in this debate, Debian should do the same
> thing.

Note that the FHS actually mentions ping to ensure that it is placed
in /bin rather than /sbin.  It's strange that they should go to all
that trouble, and yet they keep the sbin directories AND explicitly
state that ifconfig should be in /sbin.  I never said that the FHS was
entirely logical and consistent.  All that I have said is that any
problems caused by these inconsistencies are minor annoyances, at most.

Brian