Re: IPv6 address/port format (summary of valid chars)

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 12:44:14PM +0800, James Bromberger wrote:
> This leaves us with:
> 	!	@	%	^
> 	*	=	+
>
> I kind of like @:
> 	::ffff:127.0.0.1@80
>

> So a URl would look like:
> 	http://::ffff:127.0.0.1@80/
>
> And isf we can user service names (a la /etc/services):
> 	http://::ffff:127.0.0.1@www/
>
> It also kind of makes sense as 'at port 80'. The only problem I can
> see is perl - the @ array token needs to be escaped to \@ - but since
> this is already the case with email addresses in perl, this should
> not be too big a deal. We're not exactly reinventing the wheel here.
> The only problem comes with user education - that when a novice sees
> <something>@<something>, they currently think 'email'. Overloading
> this may cause some confusion.

@ is already used in URIs to indicate passwords.
http://user:password@host:port/path, IIRC.

Also, Ian McKellar pointed out that:
> Of course !, % and * (And sometimes ^) have special shell meanings too.

So if you want to be absolutely correct, you must use one of:
> 	=	+

Two choices.  Pathetic, eh?

--
Evan Martin - eeyem@u.washington.edu - http://students.washington.edu/eeyem