Re: libncurses5

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 02:51:07AM -0600 , Michael Stroucken wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Petr Cech wrote:
> > No it isn't. Look at other libraries (like libgpm1g, which had ncurses4
> > dependency until today).
>
> 	So if ldd descends into other libraries, should that be put into
> the Depends line when making a package? I'd think it should just depend on
> whatever library it is compiled with, if that needs more, then that should
> be done at install time (jzip needs ncurses5, ncurses5 needs ncurses4, not
> jzip needs ncurses5 and ncurses4).

Probably. The thing is, that if you do ldd on a binary, that _all_ those
libraries will be listed there (ncurses4&5). How do you decide, which is
needed by the library only and which is for the programm (I can usually
do this, but because I know that some things are bad, but there could be a
program which depends on gmp1&gmp2[example only] and be correct).

				Petr Cech
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}
           cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz