Re: Where is libgl?

On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 09:26:44AM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> > quake-3dfx and quake-gl depend on libGL1
> > flwm       depends on libgl and
> > quake2-bin depends on libgl1
> >
> > Yet no package of that name seems to exist anywhere. None
> > even come close.
> >
> > What to do?
>
> http://glx.on.openprojects.net

FWIW, quake-3dfx will not work with Utah GLX..  It's built using Mesa's
SVGALib target (which happens to also work with lib3dfxgl and Mesa's
include files---but I've not got (and am unlikely to get it would seem)
source for that..

3dfx says that Mesa a better OpenGL anyway so they'd rather their hackish
and incomplete lib3dfxgl just go away.  The thing is completely evil,
unless you have a Voodoo1 and can use all the help you can get.  =/

There are things we can do to improve Quake's GL performance in general
and Mesa+Glide in particular, but I have not as of yet learned how to use
vertex arrays (we'll get a BIG performance boost out of those says one of
the guys at 3dfx) and couldn't do it for the 0.1.0 release anyway, which
is currently frozen for release hopefully within a day or two.  (No
promises but our todo list is small enough..)

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                 Debian Linux developer
http://tank.debian.net   GnuPG key  pub 1024D/DCF9DAB3  sub 2048g/3F9C2A43

<Overfiend> partycle: I seriously do need a vacation from this package.
            I actually had a DREAM about introducing a stupid new bug
            into xbase-preinst last night.  That's a Bad Sign.