Re: [leganii@surfree.com: Re: FWD: C-Kermit & potato]

> Frank da Cruz wrote:
> > > Problem2: If I can't distribute a program with solaris i anin't free in
> > > Debians sense of freeness.
> > >
> > You're free to define free however you want.  So am I :-)  It's a big,
> > complicated world.
>
> yes, it is.  Debian's meaning of Free is the same as in open Source, thus
> the definition is found at http://www.debian.org/social_contract and
> on http://www.opensource.org/

We worked with Open Source board on the license.  They are realists;
they like the license because it promotes the Open Source idea, even if it
is not Open Source itself.  They recognize that the Kermit Project's funding
model comes out of necessity.  If we could make careers out of writing
free-in-the-sense-of-freedom software, we would.  But many years ago,
our management decided they did not want to pay for that any more.  We were
able to rescue the Kermit Project from oblivion only by making it
self-funding.

- Frank