Re: FAI 1.0: facts and answers

    Thomas> For example: try to change the line in
    Thomas> /etc/init.d.sysklogd

    Thomas> from SYSLOGD="" to SYSLOGD="-m 240"

    Thomas> You could not make this using debconf or postinst
    Thomas> script. In cfengine it's made with

    Thomas>   { ${target}/etc/init.d/sysklogd ReplaceAll "^SYSLOGD=.*"
    Thomas> With "SYSLOGD=${dblquote}-m 240${dblquote}" }

This is something that I think should be made available to all
packages, so you can upgrade without losing configuration information.
I was told on debian-mentors that debconf already provides such
functionality, but nobody could tell me how to do it. I will assume
that the poster was mistaken unless I am otherwise informed.

Ideally, I think there should be a package that provides scripts (for
postinst scripts) methods that allow manipulation of common
configuration formats. This would mean the package mainatainer can
add/remove settings from a config file, without having to replace the
entire config file, and without having to reinvent the wheel either.

(note: can cfengine cope with config files of the following format?

[group1]
SYSLOGD=hi

[group2]
SYSLOGD=hot

...where the setting means something different depending on what group
it is in? This is what I mean when it should be able to cope with
common formats. I am going to attempt to write a script that copes
with this format for my Heimdal package, unless anything has already
been done...).

--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>