Re: concensus on removing TeX and Emacs from standard

Anthony Towns wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 31, 1999 at 11:18:14AM +0100, Filip Van Raemdonck wrote:
> > Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > Emacs is a pretty important part of the GNU system (as far as the FSF
> > > goes), and TeX is a fairly useful thing to have around too. People who
> > > don't want it are, of course, free to not have them.
> > Important, but certainly not standard.
>
> Note that `important' is a higher priority than `standard'. There aren't
> any shades at all for `optional'.
I wasn't talking about 'important' in the Debian priority system here.
What I meant was that no Linux distribution should be without it
(contrary to what Corel seems to believe), and that is how they are
important. But I surely wouldn't install emacs and tex on every system I
have to install, in fact I'd only do that on a minority of systems.

> > If I were to known 20 people who
> > use and *know* Linux or some BSD flavour, only 3 out of them would
> > install Emacs and TeX (unless perhaps the others would need TeX to be
> > used eg. by some print-filter).
>
> Really? Most of the Linux users I know use Emacs quite a bit, and many
> use TeX too for reports and theses and such.
>
> Gosh. Experiences varying? Who'd've thunk it?
>
> > > Personally, I'd be inclined to upgrade X11 to Standard. What's changed
> > > since it was put in policy originally? Computers have become a lot faster
> > > and larger, and a lot more GNU/Linux users expect to have a GUI available.
> > Wrong. Windows users will expect to have a gui available. I spent about
> > 95 % of my time in the VC. And of those same 20 people, at least 15 will
> > also do so.
>
> ie, three-quarters of experienced Linux users don't use netscape,
> don't preview their documents before printing them, don't use xfig,
> don't play quake... This, also, isn't even remotely like my experience.
Right, so let's also make netscape, xfig, quake, ... standard, ok?

> According to the popularity-contest, 540/753 (or about 14 of 20 people)
> have xserver-common (and presumably an xserver) installed, eg.
That would be including me, if I would have installed the
popularity-package. Still, because I have it installed doesn't mean I
use it often. In fact I use it so little that even though I have it
installed I'd rather object to it becoming standard.

> Cheers,
> aj
>
> --
> Anthony Towns <aj@humbug.org.au> <http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/>
> I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.
>
>  ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
>         results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
>                                         -- Linus Torvalds

Filip

--
Get a life. Get Windows(tm). It makes you wanna spend a lot less time
with your pc.

filipvr@xs4all.be              Helpdesk        Tel: +32/(0)9/265.02.05
http://www.xs4all.be        Webengineering     Fax: +32/(0)9/265.02.50