Re: concensus on removing TeX and Emacs from standard

On Sun, Jan 02, 2000 at 10:17:19AM -0800, Robert Woodcock wrote:
> A lot of potato users are simply typing:
> apt-get install abiword gnumeric
> Lo and behold, half an office suite.

Half? I suppose that leaves a database and trendy presentation tools.
Are there pleasant GUIs for postgresql and/or mgp about?

Damn. Tell me again why Linux isn't suitable for the desktop?

BTW, assuming all out packages were fairly cheap shareware, at, say,
$10 each, that'd make every Debian CD set worth around $40,000. And
that's likely an *under*estimate --- OSes with windowing systems, word
processors, spreadsheets and the like, even trashy shareware ones would
likely go for no less that $40 or $50. *sigh* Isn't it just beautiful?

> >> The text editor scene really hasn't changed much since then. People who
> >> used emacs in 1997 are still using emacs, people who used vi in 1997 are
> >> still using vi, and new users are slowly aligning themselves one way or the
> >> other.
> > Which would be an argument to make emacs standard even if it weren't
> > already.
> Please explain how you are taking my paragraph above and spinning it into an
> argument for making emacs standard.

ie, a good half of our userbase, both new and traditional, use it. It's as
commonly used as vi.

[Uninstalling emacs/tetex]
> They would be annoyed if they didn't take those 24 keypresses [1]
> in the first place and found out that apt-get is grabbing 27MB of stuff
> they didn't need or want, and furthermore is eating up a few more minutes
> of their time during the package configuration stage.

Imagine. Losing *minutes* of their time. How *awful*. And, likewise,
how annoyed would someone be if they installed the whole standard system
and then discovered they didn't have tetex and emacs, even though every
other Debian install they'd ever done had given them that? Why, it's
possible that they might only find this out after they'd gotten home
from an installfest, and thus had to get an extra 20MB of stuff via
modem instead of a 10Mbps ethernet link.

> [1] slash, 'emacs', enter, minus, space, enter, down, minus, slash,
> 'tetex', enter, minus, space, enter, down, minus

And don't forget `dselect', `s', enter, and space, or enter, `q', enter.
It's only two extra keypresses if you're already in dselect and already
looking through all the packages to see what's appropriate anyway.

Cheers,
aj

I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds