Re: Serious security problem! [Was: base system on boot floppies 2.2.3 broken]

On 1/1/2000 Erik Andersen wrote:

I recommend we make a new release of boot-floppies as soon
as this fix goes in, and make some kind of announcement so
that anybody that has installed from the boot floppies so far
knows how absolutely broken their system is.

I did not notice this till after i had installed the rest of the system, and did not want to reinstall ya again (it was 3rd time in 3 days, due to nasty fs corruption) i fixed the permissions myself the best i could figure and from inspecting my other (couple month old) potato box. is there any way to fix the permissions via dpkg? like rpm --set-perms

I am pretty sure i have the suid bits set right and i know there are no more world writable files (BTW /usr/lib/libguile.so.6.0.0 is STILL installed mode 777) but i would like to make sure i have execute bits set right (yeah yeah mostly cosmetic ;)) and that there do not happen to be any files readable that shouldn't be (i am pretty sure there are not)

after these problems I was thinking about putting together a script to be run by cron that scans for bad permissions, but I have heard there are security problems with using find in this manner, is that only a problem if you perform an action on a file with find (chmod, rm etc) or is there more general security problems?

(is there such a thing already out there?)

Ethan