Re: certain X apps don't work on debian xservers?

On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 05:18:53PM +0100, Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Mon 06 Dec 1999, Lee Bradshaw wrote:
>
> > No responses to my post on debian-user. Anyone here have any suggestions
> > before I file a bug report? A suggestion for what to include in the bug
> > report would also be useful. Thanks.
>
> Looks like it might be a problem with the color depth. Maybe it expects
> an 8-bit display and you have 15/16/24/32-bits, or vice versa?

Sorry my reply is so late, but thanks Paul. Our linux systems are
generally running 16-bit color and the application expected 8. Starting
an 8-bit xserver and displaying on it fixed the problem.

I've been waiting to get more info on running the applications on
windows with exceed X software. I finally got someone to try it, and
they reported that the application works with exceed when windows is
running with either an 8 or 16-bit color depth.

I know there are some issues with speed (reprogramming the palette
in 8-bit mode vs. having to redraw all the pixels to a new color in
direct-mapped modes.) There are also issues with color accuracy (the
8-bit modes generally have 8 bits for each R, G, and B entry in the
table, while 15/16 bit modes only have 5 or 6 bits for R, G, and B.) But
it would still be nice if xfree86 would attempt to do it's best to draw
the display.

> > > I've had some problems with X apps compiled on hpux not displaying on
>
> You say "X apps compiled on hpux". Do you have source?

No. I was just pointing out the other os involved.

Thanks again.

--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com