Re: Redesign of diskless NFS-root package & apt error

Petr Cech <cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 07, 1999 at 04:18:27PM +0200 , goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de wrote:
> > PPS: Hey, lets write a statistic package that collects useage counters
> > for packages from all debian systems where its installed on.
>
> popularity-contest ?

Yes. Sort of.

Just to give the maintainers a little feedback how usefull their wrk
is to others.

Also those statistics could be used to ceate a new section "tested",
in which only packages are allowed that are tested by a fair amount of
users.

That way one could use unstable packages without the high risk of some
broken uploads or version conflicts. potato breaks a bit too often to
be reliable. One could say that apt-get should only update package
when 10 users have used that version for a week without bugreports (or
something similar).

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin

PS: I saw that there is a tool that reports back what packages are
installed. Les see what further use can be made of it.