Re: Redesign of diskless NFS-root package & apt error

On Thu, Oct 07, 1999 at 04:18:27PM +0200, goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de wrote:
> Not complaining at all but saying that Debian is so broken. :) If
> someone finds a bug, he should allways report it after looking at the
> bug tracking system, the manpage and the changelog of the current
> unstable version. Its  better to have a bug reported twice then to
> have not reported at all.
>
> I heard from several maintainers that they like having bugs reported
> against their package, because it shows that they do valuable work in
> maintaining the package. The bug tracking system is the onbly feedback
> a maintainer normaly has.

Currently I am one of the above. At times I ask people to test a package
of mine (most notably diskless). Lots of people download it, but nobody
complains. So I assume all is OK. Then I test it myself, and find that
it crashes it a heap, eg because I put a print statement above the
declaration of the variable was is meant to print...

> PS: All maintainers who get too many bug reports will probably kill me
> for this.

I imagine there will be a number of maintainers in the category, too.

> PPS: Hey, lets write a statistic package that collects useage counters
> for packages from all debian systems where its installed on.

...but don't withdraw a package just because it isn't frequently used,
as I suspect my diskless package may fall into the category (its not
intended to be used by the general population of users, as most people
wont need diskless NFS-Root systems).
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>