Re: permission denied on owned files

On 6 Oct 1999, Ruud de Rooij wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> > Something else strange just happened during an autobuild pass. All of the
> > subdirectories in my build tree have suddenly become inaccessable to the
> > build user, who owns all the files and directories. Here is what I get:
>
> > $ cd sbuild
> > sh: cd: sbuild: Permission denied
> > $ ls -l
> > total 9
> > drw-rw-r--   2 build    build        1024 Oct  6 09:47 sbuild
> >
> > So, where do I look to figure out why I am not allowed access to these
> > files/directories?
>
> In order to access a directory you must have execute permission (the
> x-bit) on it.

Thanks, I don't know why I didn't see that...(i.e. "I knew that!" ;-)

Now the only thing I don't understand is how it got that way in the first
place.

This is the directory where the script unpacks and builds the source
files. It has been working just fine up until I tried to build tk8.2 and
dpkg-source failed to unpack the source. After that point, the script
returned permission denied when it tried to create a log file in the
parent directory. It seems that all of the directories owned by build are
now without execute permissions.

I'm using dpkg 1.4.1.9, and David Engle (the tk maintainer) suggestes that
the several versions of dpkg that he has tried unpack the source just
fine. Somehow, when dpkg-source fails, the directories have their execute
permissions removed? Actually the effects are broader than that. All of
the files in the working directory have their execute permission bits set
true, so it looks like the "operation" simply toggled all execute
permission bits that it had access to.

At least this isn't as bad as the last time I had such a failure (much
data was eaten by Zule on that night, I can tell you ;-)

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like I need to find a better version of
dpkg.

Waiting is,

Dwarf