Re: A new axis for bugs?

[moved to -devel]

On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 02:34:20AM -0400, Branden Robinson wrote:
> I like this idea, but I think it is orthogonal to the existing bug
> categories.
>
> I don't know what you would call it, but I imagine a 4-way status switch:
>
> unreproduced
> reproduced
> possible fix
> known fix
>
> Basically I see bug fixing as proceeding sequentially down this list.
> There's a state above "unreproduced", which is "not a bug", and you close
> it almost immediately.  There's also the state after "known fix", which is
> implementation, and is reflected by closing it or setting its severity to
> "fixed".

This is great. The BTS is our institutional memory, and we really need a
mechanism for organizing it. This might do it. It would also make things
easier for people who are trying to help fix bugs--they could filter out
already-fixed bugs more easily and focus their attention on the stuff
that really needs work.

Mike Stone