Re: Unstable release

On Mon, 04 Oct 1999, Daniel Burrows wrote:

>   I usually use apt to fetch via ftp, but pointing it at a source archive
> should do the same thing.  Are you using it as a dselect backend, or are
> you doing something else entirely?

I'm using it via dselect. I'll have to try that once more to be sure that
it really didn't follow soft-links, but at least it looked like it didn't
as I got exactly the same error-messages that I got when downloading
manually with ncftp.

>   Wait, you mean you're trying to actually *install* potato?  I didn't realize

Yep.. =)

> that boot-floppies even worked again!  I think it's usually the case that a
> from-scratch install doesn't work until the last minute.  I know a Slink

Ok, didn't know that. I haven't been using Debian for that long. Switched
from Stampede (that I've been running since one of the first betas) in April
or something.

>   I do it with a fairly simple approach.  I install the base Slink system, but
> on the reboot (after setting a root password :) ) I edit /etc/apt/sources.list
> and change all references to "stable" to "unstable".  I then proceed as before.
> It may be that the archive is in a weird state at the moment; I haven't done
> this for a few months.  I recommend just installing a small set of packages and
> then adding stuff by hand in dselect (but I recommend this when setting a new
> stable system up as well -- the metapackage/task system is too broken)

I'll try that next time.

When I installed the last one (with slink), I actually did something
similar. I installed the base system with slink, and downloaded the
whole potato distribution via ftp, and started adding packages manually
with dpkg. This has the drawback that I have to use various --force*
options to make it replace the older versions of libraries and other
things. Right now it runs ssh, perl, etc from the potato distribution.

/Staffan