dpkg -l format

I'm not sure if this has been discussed extensively before on
debian-devel, but a quick search of the mailing list archives didn't
turn up anything, so here goes:

The output format of dpkg -l is terrible.  Many package names exceed
the measly 16 characters allotted.  Many, many times when trying to
remove packages that have long strings of dependencies, I have
to grep /var/lib/dpkg/status, and remove things by hand, when
what I really want to do is dpkg -l '*netscape*' | xargs dpkg --purge.

--
Colin Walters <levanti@verbum.org>
http://web.verbum.org/levanti