Re: in.telnetd and virtual hosting

On Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 10:18:51PM +0200, Marek Habersack was heard to say:
>   I'm trying to virtualize in.telnetd to access a chrooted virtual server
> (using tcp_wrappers' twist option and Wietse's chrootuid utility).
> Everything works just fine until the in.telnetd from chrooted location is
> execed. It tries to allocate a pty (via openpty() call), but receives an
> ENOENT error meaning that there are no more free pty pairs available, which
> is not true, of course. If I use the 'spawn' option in hotst.allow I'm
> presented with a login of the normal, non-virtual, server instead of the
> new, chrooted, one. Does anyone know what might be the cause of such
> behavior and perhaps knows a way to virtualize telnetd?

  I don't know a whole lot about telnetd and the intricacies of setting up
chrooted environments -- but that said, what's in /dev in the chroot jail?  I
suspect you need to mount a devpts filesystem on <chroot path>/dev/pts for this
to work, although I have no idea how Linux would react to having to having
multiple devpts filesystems mounted at once.  Probably best to try and see :)

  Daniel

--
  "People would panic?"
  "Very briefly, I'm afraid."

     -- The dangers of colliding with a star examined;
           Terry Pratchett, _The Light Fantasic_