Re: Debian membership (with a twist)

On Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 03:36:23PM -0400, Decklin Foster wrote:
> b) give the Project Leader the ability to stop stupid things like the
>    /usr/doc -> /usr/share/doc debate, and just pick an option.

The Technical Committee is authorised to pick an option, if it is asked
to do so.  The DPL has the power to ask them.  This was used to settle
the /usr/doc problem.

> e) Fix existing bugs *before* undergoing projects like HPML, Debconf,
>    FHS compliance, etc.

This would mean that Debian will not advance.

We always have bugs.  It's inherent in the process of creating software.
If you require zero bugs before starting new projects, you'd never see
a new project.

Besides, Debian is run by volunteers.  They decide for themselves what
they do.

> All I can really say here is that if I *were* a developer, everyone
> out there would have the right to tell me to shut up, stop wasting
> time, and get back to hacking. But I'm not.

You can start hacking right now.  You could for example help me to figure
out bug#45578.  Or, you could pick up the TODO list for grep-dctrl and
send me patches.  Or, you could pick up a copy of the boot floppies from
the CVS and fix all the bugs in it.  You could also do a host of other
things without being a Debian developer.

                                  ""
                             (John Cage)