Re: Corel/Debian Linux Installer

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> writes:

> The two most compelling reasons to carve a single drive into little
> partitions are space management and mounting /usr readonly. On a
> single user workstation neigther are very important, and for alot of
> servers they are not important either.

Having /var and/or home directory(ies) off on separate partitions,
means that if you don't notice that either a runaway log (which Debian
has had on several occasions) or your own processes are filling up a
partition, then when the partition gets full, the trouble is limited
to processes that need to access that partition, not all processes.
That seems helpful -- is it not substantial enough to be worth it?

You also always hear that having multiple partitions limits the affect
of serious fs damage.  Sounds reasonable, though in practice, I've
never had anything that e2fsck couldn't fix that wasn't a wholesale
drive loss.  Is that still worth worrying about?

Also, if you use something like amanda for backups, then you need to
make sure your partitions are smaller than your tape size (after
compression).