Re: ITW/P: freecati

On Oct 02, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> On Oct 03, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 11:22:11PM -0500, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> >
> > > For the unfamiliar, CATI programs are used to to conduct surveys over
> > > the telephone (although they can also be used in other contexts).
> > > Think of an "installation wizard" with a modem dialer and database
> > > backend, and you've got the idea.  The concept here is basically to
> > > make it possible to turn mothballed 486es (or eMachines ;-) into
> > > interviewing stations running Linux for the cost of a network card, a
> > > good USR modem and a noise-cancelling headset (i.e. well under $200).
> >
> > IMO, this is morally akin to writing free software specifically to make
> > spamming cheaper and easier.

One more thing: in fairness to Craig, I didn't make my intended use of
the software all that clear in my original message.  The possibility
of its use by telemarketers wasn't exactly at the forefront of my mind
at the time I posted originally.  However, I suspect "off-the-shelf"
products would be much more suited to their use; my intended package
will probably require at least enough knowledge to install and
administer a Debian (or other Un*x)-based LAN, which is more than most
"make money fast" types are willing to pay for.

I will now shut up and code.

Chris
|          Chris Lawrence         |       Get your Debian 2.1 CD-ROMs       |
|     <quango@watervalley.net>    |        http://www.lordsutch.com/        |
|     Grad Student, Pol. Sci.     |      Visit the Amiga Web Directory      |
|    University of Mississippi    |     http://www.cucug.org/amiga.html     |