Re: Possible ITP: Rescue Package

On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 01:34:38PM +0200, goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de wrote:
> > I already know how I plan to do it without resorting to one of the
> > micro distributions.  => I just haven't decided yet whether anybody
> > else wants it enough to make it worth trying to write a better
> > initrd that is more generic.  I've got it working now with my zip
> > disk though.
>
> If you get it to work with the zip disk mounted readonly, so that it
> would also work from a CDrom, then its worth the effort.

I hope that anything I may do with it will eventually lead to wider
availability of a live filesystem for people who want to check out Debian
or something without a huge committment in terms of diskspace, but that's
a different animal than this rescue package all together.

> Currently when I need a rescue system for some reason, I install base
> to the swap partition and work from that. Its great, but nowadays I
> tend to not have a swap partition, so that option is not allways
> possible. :)

I've done this as well---for this reason I will ALWAYS leave at least 100
megs available for swap, no matter how much memory I have around.  =>
They are just far too useful as scratch partitions to give up !

> If you keep going with your ideas, please include raid support (mdrun,
> mdadd and kernel modules).

At this point I'm looking more towards the idea of BYOK (Bring Your Own
Kernel)

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>             Debian GNU/Linux developer
GnuPG: 2048g/3F9C2A43 - 20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3