Re: Setup API, The next step (Re: Corel Setup Design Proposal)

Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu> writes:

> I for one like what I see so far.  I want to encourage Corel to
> improve Debian setup.  I hope that you can either commit directly to
> the debian boot-floppies or at least start a world-readable cvs tree
> of your own.  That way everyone will be able to look at what you're
> doing and make comments or suggestions.

Yes -- speaking as the self-appointed CVS master for the
/cvs/debian-boot area (housing the boot-floppies, debian-cd, and now
setup-api), Corel currently has established setup-api module
(currently still empty) for world ongoing review, and incidentally,
has rw access to the boot-floppies area itself, which I am sure they
will not abuse.

Working with Corel, personally, and I talked to Dave on the phone last
week, has been very pleasant.  They seem to be making the utmost
effort to avoid a fork and adapt to the "Debian way".

It is certain that some things they will do we cannot adapt since we
must support a much larger base of existing systems (such as VME or
headless old 386 routers) whereas they are trying to develop, AFAICT,
a "Linux for the Rest of Us" type distribution which makes
installation, which is historically a very "high curve" area for
Debian, a snap.

I am very encoraged by all the feedback from Debian developers, and
what seems to be the start of a very productive collaboration and
symbiosis.