Re: Logo procedure and ideas

    > On Thu, Apr 15, 1999 at 01:15:48AM +0100, Ian Jackson
    > wrote:
    >> - are just text or the letter D in a funny font

    > What is so wrong with this?  People like IBM, HP, Sun and
    > "sgi" have done this.  Maybe the results aren't particulary
    > the world's greatest logos, but they do the job of
    > providing a clear, recognizable, and distinct logo.  And
    > besides, this gives us some fairly easy material to work
    > with.

In _Metamagical Themas_, D. Hofstadter discusses logos and their
recognizability.  He collected a number of examples of logos that
are highly recognizable (IBM, 3M, ...) and discusses what
characteristics they have that make them recognizable.  I don't
have the book here with me, but I know the part I'm thinking of
is in the section that also deals with type faces.  Perhaps
people might want to take a look at that article to see if it
prompts some ideas.  It should also be available in a back issue
of Scientific American.  I'll see if I can find the detailed
reference tonight.

Mike

--
Michael A. Miller                                miller5@uiuc.edu
  Department of Physics, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign