Re: Plan for device detection for installation

On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 10:36:01AM +0100, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 10:13:45PM -0500, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
> That raises another point: Do we want to have the filesystem mounted readonly?
> Then we will have to check it after reboot.
>
> How about the following plan (in context of installation):
>
> 1. we need to detect the available disk drives
>
>   - ask the user
>   - if he does not know:
>       probe the available modules for controllers (scsi, ide, ...) using the
>       checkpointing I describe at the end writing to /dev/fd0
>       [ARG! What about CD-ROM install?]
I seam to remember something about some of the nvram being available for
software other than the bios.  If I am right, could this be used for
checkpointing?  You could enumerate each test, and write this number to
nvram after each detection. This would only require about 2 bytes.

--

Rob Murray