Re: Device detection?

Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:

   [...] First, we could use the windows way which is just to probe and
   checkpoint so that if something goes wrong, the user can reboot and
   you know to skip that test.

The problem with that method is that, at least under Windows, it
causes the hard drive to thrash horribly.  I assume it's because it
checkpoints after checking for *each* device.  I'm not sure I really
want to introduce that sort of thrashing slowness into Debian

   The other would be to just ask the user at the start:
   [...do you want to auto-detect?...]

I don't think that this is a substitute for checkpointing, I think
that it's a good idea whether we checkpoint or not.