Re: freedom-subtracted.debian.org (was: Re: KDE)

On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 04:18:17PM -0600, Ian Keith Setford wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main
> > ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/contrib
> > ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/non-free
> >
> > This implies that all three are equal, which is not the message we want to
> > give.
>
> Implies to whom? This sounds like an assumption to me.

A ftp archiv is a directory hierarchy. In this case, three directories are
placed exactly in the same subdirectory "debian/dists/stable", although
non-free and contrib are NOT part of the Debian distribution.

> My opinion, which
> matters only to me, is that some sort of research should be afforded to
> this question before a move is made.

Although you can't be aware of it, this was discussed in a few hundred
emails among the Debian developers only.

> Personally, I use what _works_.  That is why I run Debian but I do use
> non-free software because for some things it is better.  Same reason I
> still run a Windows box.  I need Excel and nothing in the Linux world even
> comes close.

Sure, you are free to do so. But please accept that Debian will not
necessary follow your needs. Debian has a political goal, too.

> I think a Slashdot Poll might be useful to aid in quashing the assumptions
> of what the "users" think of mai/non-free/contrib.

Sorry, I think a slashdot poll is the last thing that should decide about
Debians fortune one way or another.

> Hopefully this didn't come off as "flame-bait" but I felt it needed to be
> said.

Well you are free to say what you want, but not much of what you said was
really relevant for this discussion.

Thanks,
Marcus