Re: Bug #32888: The old `base' package.

On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 11:45:35AM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> Why should we remove it? Just because it is called "obsolete" by dselect?
> Do you remove every "obsolete" package in your system?
>
> "obsolete" and essential are orthogonal things.

Of course they're orthogonal.  It doesn't mean I want my system to depend on
something obsolete!

If base still works just fine, it should be explicitly supported and not
labeled obsolete.  If it doesn't work just fine (ie, it's missing important
improvements), it should be improved, or an upgrade path to the new packages
should be provided.  Considering all the work that's gone into making Debian
upgradable, this is a small effort.

Andrew

--
In general NT is what you get if you could do some portions of Unix all over
again, and then managed to get it all terribly wrong.