Re: Bug #32888: The old `base' package.

On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 12:57:49AM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> No, the base-files package (effectively) provides those files. New bo,
> hamm, slink and potato systems work without that package, therefore it is
> not essential. It is essential not to remove it though!
>
> > In this case I don't see why one should remove "base", other than
> > making the system aesthetically nicer. Is this the real reason?
>
> Perhaps it is -- I think it is a valid reason anyway.

It seems to me the base-files maintainer should be aware that his package
cannot be installed alongside the obsolete base package.  He should also
be aware that base-passwd cannot be.  I know base-passwd has seen updates
since I installed it, these updates are NOT reflected in base.  Further,
not installing base-files at some point WILL hose your system once
migration to FHS happens because without base-files installed to make the
transition things are going to get messy.

To boldly go where no bunch of geeks have gone before :)   --Joel Klecker