Re: slink is gone, goals for potato?

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Craig Sanders wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 09:20:11AM -0500, Brandon Mitchell wrote:
>
> > I fear the only way to shorten the freeze time is to have a disincentive
> > to work on unstable.  Either don't allow uploads at all, a period when
> > uploads aren't allowed (near release time or near freeze time or both), or
> > some other strange scheme.  Unfortunately, everything I can think of to
> > shorten a freeze will hurt unstable.
>
> ...and hurting unstable is E V I L !!!!

I agree that's it's evil, that's the reason for the "unfortunately".

> there have been various proposals on ways to minimise the freeze period,
> starting with Bdale's one during the hamm freeze.  IMO, something
> like that is the *only* way we're going to get the freeze down to a
> reasonable time....and best of all, it actually takes advantage of the
> fact that debian is a "live" distribution rather than try to force it
> into some static, dead, commercial-release type mold.

Any better pointers?  I'd like to see this thread because I know we've
been trough it before, but a search for Bdale in devel over the last 6
months was empty.

Thanks,
Brandon

| Brandon Mitchell  bmitch@atdot.org  http://bmitch.dhis.org/  ICQ 30631197 |
| Throughout history, UNIX systems have regulary been broken into, beaten,  |
| brutalized, corrupted, commandeered, compromised, and illegally fscked.   |
|                                    -- UNIX System Administration Handbook |